I wrote the 3rd tutorial in ASP.NET 2.0, this is the continuation of the first tutorial in data access, and the second in master pages, themes, and multiview. This new hands on lab is about managing user data with membership provider. ASP.NET 2.0 provides a good and extensible membership framework for managing any membersip tasks. Most of the membership tasks are:
- Handling user login and authentication
- Securing particular page or area in the website.
- Handing user registration and notification.
- Password management (retrieving, reset, and validation).
- Assign user to particular roles, moving user from role to another.
- Creating new user and roles
- And another so much functions…
The good thing is Membership and Roles class are very extensible. We can extend the the functonalityÂ using the Membership Provider.
This tutorial covers the basic tasks in securing web page, and store the user data in SQL Server 2005 Express database. It uses forms authentication, which is the common practice in web application. I leave the advanced tips and tricks for my upcoming commercial book, hopefully soon :).
Download the tutorial and source codeÂ from here: